Instructional Design Specialist
Job number: J0319-0955
Job title: Instructional Design Specialist
Job type: Permanent Full time
Location: Toronto, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Number of positions: 1
Range minimum: $75,840.00/year
Who we are ?
We are an organization comprised of industry thought leaders who are passionate about health data and want to make a difference in the health care field. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization and together with our partners we provide essential information on Canada's health systems, enabling decisions that lead to healthier Canadians. As a valued member of the CIHI team, you and your work will have a pivotal role in the evolution of Canada's health care systems. CIHI is recognized as an exceptional place to work that embraces diversity, respect, integrity, collaboration and innovation. At CIHI, we recognize what matters to our employees. Some of the benefits of working at CIHI include Generous vacation days Flexible benefits program from your first day on the job HOOPP Pension Plan (Defined Pension) Retirement Planning Program Work-life balance Career Planning Program Learning and Professional Development Program
Why is this role important?
- The Instructional Design Specialist (IDS) is responsible for the instructional design and project coordination of CIHI Education courses and other collateral such as job aids and curriculum roadmaps.
- He/She works closely with the team lead, Education and Conferences (Learning and Development) and subject matter experts (SME) to determine learning approach, training solutions and project scope.
- The Instructional Designer will assist the SME in developing the learning product and content and in preparing design documents and templates, ensuring the fundamental principles of instructional design and adult learning are applied to the content.
- The Instructional Designer will coordinate the project’s overall development and determine when to use appropriate technology/instructional methods to support learning objectives while staying consistent with CIHI’s education development standards.
- The Instructional Designer will ensure instructional design plans are executed on time/bud get, meet quality control standards, and are consistent with the product requirements.
What you'll do
1. Working with subject matter experts, supports the solution design and development of CIHI’s workshops, web-conferences and self-studies as well as non-course items such as job aids and curriculum pathways, including identifying learner needs and performance gaps, content analysis, course scope, objectives, design, development, and quality control.
2. Facilitates course creation in collaboration with subject matter experts building learning products where content aligns with learning objectives, CIHI development standards, and adult learning principles.
3. Coordinates the project activities of Education deliverables, including monitoring/managing tasks and timelines, co-coordinating hand-off’s of content with other services, and perform quality reviews to ensure deliverables are developed according to department requirements.
4. Collaborates with Education leads to develop instructional design plans for products based on adult learning principles, experience with available technology and the availability of Education resources.
5. Develops and maintains relationships by working in collaboration with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
6. Provides guidance to the Education team throughout the development process to ensure tasks are delegated, and completed as planned; identifies process gaps, provides recommendations for process improvement.
7. Assists with the development and maintenance of products and assets, as required.
What you'll bring to the table
- Undergraduate Degree (Maters preferred) in a relevant field (e.g. education,, instructional design, adult learning, curriculum planning etc.) or equivalent experience.
- Three to five years of recent and related experience with educational analysis, instructional strategies, design and development concepts and approaches, including web-conferencing, workshop and distance learning systems.
- Knowledge and grounding in adult learning theory is essential, capacity building theory and UX theory (asset)
- Ability to analyze performance problems to identify gaps and learning needs as they relate to curriculum design.
- Experience managing development projects, including workshop, web-conferencing and eLearning.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work in an agile environment with various project teams and competing priorities.
- Working knowledge and experience with assessment and evaluation of training/educational programs.
- Significant experience using MS Word, MS Project, MS Teams and MS PowerPoint. Some experience with software packages such as the Adobe Creative Cloud suite preferred.
- Experience developing for Learning Management Systems is an asset.
- Fluency in both official languages is an asset.
To find out more about this role and other exciting opportunities visit our website at www.cihi.ca and check out our 'Careers' section. We thank all those who apply, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. At CIHI we are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.