Teacher candidates are matched with associate teachers to reflect both division and subject areas of expertise. Associate teachers are welcome to host either one or two teacher candidates during the practicum experience.
The role of the associate teacher involves guiding and supporting the professional development of the teacher candidate. Providing daily/weekly constructive feedback is essential.
Associate Teachers have the following :
- At least two years of teaching experience;
- In good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers;
- Have their principal’s approval;
- Be willing to act as a mentor, supporting the development of a teacher candidate or candidates;
- Be open to a co-planning, co-teaching approach to model effective teaching strategies;
- Be able to work within a collaborative community of inquiry with a teacher candidate or candidates and their Faculty representative(s);
- Be aware of individual differences in teaching styles, personality and values; and
- Have a love of teaching and a generosity of spirit to give back to the profession and to help make a difference in the development of the next generation of teachers.