Location: Pawe, Ethiopia
Start Date Apr - Jun 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 9 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role:
We need a volunteer like you to advise on the curriculum development for the Pawe College of Health Science in Ethiopia and to ensure their curriculum meets the standards required. You will work to better the educational standards by evaluating the current program, providing recommendations on improvements to be made, and then implementing the new curriculum across departments to ensure that Nurse Plus meets the legislative, professional and regulatory requirements. Your work will help the college produce better-educated health professionals that can help the growing population in need.
- To create and maintain an interactive environment for safe and quality care practices.
- To build the capacity of the teachers, students and administrative staff in the college
- To work with local colleagues, undertake a training needs; design and deliver appropriate training, at the college level, and evaluate the training.
- Undertake frequent monitoring and evaluation, and feedback progress to the college
- To support to the college team working in education quality assurance efficiently and effectively, assisting standards are met and maintained to a high level.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Provide instructors with information and resources on teaching methodologies to promote academic progress.
- Assists the learning process complies with quality standards set by the ministry.
- Conduct training need assessments and conduct capacity building sessions for teacher’s students and administration staff.
- Strengthen links with other similar institutions, so that good practice and expertise can be shared.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years teaching experience in an active learning environment (volunteering activities included)
- Essential Professional Background:
- Experience in conducting a needs assessment, and delivering in-service training
- Able to work collaboratively with team
- Commitment to achieve results Support Package
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
Accommodation while in placement :
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months