Location: Harrar, Ethiopia
Start Date: Dec 2017 - Jan 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement: 9 Months
Language Requirements: English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only.
The Volunteer’s Role: The over-all purpose of this placement is to provide technical support for establishment /strengthening of community nutrition education platforms, development/adaption of nutrition behaviour change communication materials, and implementation in East Harrarghe Zone through capacity building and system strengthening in East Harrarghe Government sectors and community based organizations who are working with zonal nutrition coordination committee, through Haramaya University.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Assist the assessment of main social barriers for proper nutritional practices
- Support the establishment/strengthening of community education strategies and platforms to address the social barriers
- Assist the design and development of appropriate nutrition social behavior change communication (SBCC) materials
- Support the effective implementation of community level SBCC for nutrition activities, gather success stories & lessons learned and share with partners
- Assist in the development of the nutrition SBCC capacity of local partners and the community
Essential Academic Qualifications:
-MA. degree in of the following fields of study: Behaviour Change Communication/health education/promotion, Communication for Development, Communications, Behavioral Science.
Essential Professional Background:
-At least three years work experience in designing nutrition/& or health education interventions.
-Demonstrated work experience in capacity development for social behavior change communications
-Experience on assessment of social barriers for optimal nutrition is an asset Support Package
-Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
-Accommodation while in placement
-Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
-Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
-Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
-Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
-Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
-Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
-Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
-Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
-Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months