The Blue Whale Children’s Centre is a highly innovative non-profit alternative school that has been in operation in the central Ottawa area since 2015. We offer our children small group classrooms which are led by teachers who are passionate about supporting and guiding children to achieve their full emotional and academic potentials using hands-on, experiential, child-led and inquiry-based teaching approaches and who are skilled at creating warm, supportive relationships with all of their learners. We currently have opportunities for full or part time instructors for the 2019-2020 school year.
We are seeking teachers who are truly passionate about connecting with children and who can comfortably do so using a variety of approaches to teaching and learning. Our ideal candidate would have the motivation, background and experience to develop lessons which offer holistic, blended instruction in subjects such as science, history, math, outdoor studies and geography, without relying on mandated or pre-set curriculums. Teachers are given the opportunity to develop the curriculum on an on-going basis based on the needs, interests and questions of the children in their classrooms. Teachers are also expected to cultivate caring and responsive relationships with their students and with the classes as a whole.
Ideal candidates would
- possess a Bachelor of Education or an equivalent in terms of experience and/or training working with children and youth;
- have demonstrated experience working with children or youth in alternative educational settings and contexts;
- possess an ability to be open, flexible and think outside of conventional practices and approaches;
- be ready to support students in a truly holistic way whereby the emotional development and cognitive development of the students is given equal attention and importance;
- have the ability to develop creative, engaging, and meaningful curricula on an on-going basis and in response to their students;
- have a familiarity with and ability to implement inquiry-based learning techniques;
- be willing to respond to and engage with students as a pathway for developing curriculum;
- enthusiastically facilitate outdoor opportunities and activities on a daily basis;
- possess and be able to model an exceptional personal level of excellence, integrity, drive and passion for life and learning, both inside and outside the classroom.
This is a perfect position for someone who is committed to creating and participating in alternative educational opportunities and practices, and who possesses the vision and drive to develop and implement such a program alongside an invested, supportive group of parents and their children.
If you are looking for the unique and profound opportunity to positively impact and build up a grass-roots, non-profit, truly alternative school in Ottawa, we would love to hear from you. Please contact Lillian Domin at email@example.com with a letter of introduction and CV by March 1st, 2019.
Interviews will follow for qualified candidates. Position to begin September 2019 until June 2020. Rate of pay to be determined by experience: $25 to $35 per hour to start. For more information about our programming, please visit our website at www.bluewhalechildrenscentre.ca